Tuesday 23 May 2000

Lands End Date Change 2

I've started a new discussion as the last one regarded speculation that the date was going to change. We now know that subject to ratification it will.

From the responses to the speculation it is clear that a number of competitors would be sad to see this change take place. I know that just about the whole of Cornwall would! As I have said previously the Lands End Trial is an institution that has run unchanged (by modern standards) since the start of the last century. Why change it now?

After discussions with John West (Clerk of the Course) this weekend, it appears that the reason is due to increasing difficulties with organisation. Bude and Penzance in particular are keen to attract visitors on a weekend before Easter when things are quieter. It would also be possible to reopen Penzance promenade for the final special test. (Penzance as a finish does at least look safe for now).There are also said to be concerns over accomodation due to the Easter weekend and ever increasing traffic.

Now before I continue I would first like to say that I think John West has done an excellent job as the Clerk of the Course, and the changes he and his organisational team have made thus far have made the greatest trial in our calendar even better. BUT, as regards the date change, I personally think, this event will lose so much of what makes it special.

The Lands End Trial will no longer be the one trial to do if you don't do any others in the year. Whereas it will never become "just another trial", I honestly believe it won't be far off. It will be just another weekend away trialling but the only thing that will mark it out as being special is the fact that it runs over two days. It certainly won't be so different from the Exeter and Edinburgh.

The reasons for the movement are above all most concerning. To begin with, why do we go to Bude? Is it not just for a speed test? Who cares if the promenade at Penznace is opened for a speed test? We used to do Hobbs Choice speed test on a muddy track in the middle of nowhere. Are the speed test a compelling reason to make any change to the format? Surely these are secondary to the climbing of the hills and the adhering to the route in the correct time! Don't get me wrong I have great fun on these tests but lets get priorities right!

I also believe that sponsorship is provided by these councils, but this is surely another issue altogether. If funds are needed to keep the event going I can't believe that 300+ competitors can't think of a way to raise them. We do of course need to know that this is a problem.

As regards accomodation, I have said it before and will repeat myself. These is plenty of accomodation in South West Cornwall over Easter as long as there is a little bit of forward planning. I usually stay as part of a group of at least 10, and for only one night. This is booked at the same time as the entry form is sent and so far we have always had options as to the final hotel. Of course if people try two weeks before they will struggle but what I am saying is that it only requires a little bit of forward planning.

Traffic? Come on, how much traffic do we see on the routes we take? Except of course around Bude on the way to a special test. But again, what's a bit of traffic? Annoying maybe, but surely worth the sacrifice of keeping this great event on its traditional date.

As Simon Woodall has stated, if we wish to stop this then protests must be directed to John Aley. I would suggest writing as opposed to ringing as this may have the opposite effect if John is bombarded night after night with calls. Everyone should be aware that if they stand by, to see what happens this will almost certainly result in no Lands End at Easter.

I think we can all understand that there are organisational problems and this makes it tough for those running the event and as I have already said, John West and his team do a superb job in overcoming these. I would hate to think that by pushing to keep this traditional date we would see them stand down, but I do think the MCC need to be aware how strong the feeling is regarding this event.

Sorry to ramble on for so long but this is an emotive subject and I don't want to give up yet another tradition without a fight. This event, running as it does, is worth fighting for and I merely wish for the MCC to accept this (and by the MCC I refer to all members as well as the council), and do whatever is necessary to provide John and his team the help they need to overcome the numerous obastacles put in their way.

I would of course be glad to read messages from anyone who believes that this change is for the good. It would be even sadder to think that it changed and everyone thought it a bad idea!

Regards to all.

Giles Greenslade

12 comments:

  1. Giles,I agree with this pretty near 100%. The only negative thing I have about LE at Easter is the difficulty finding accomodation but even so I would prefer it to stay as it is. Otherwise as Giles says it could become just another trial.Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lands End will NEVER be 'just another trial'.Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. The current format of the event and the organisation that goes into it is superb. I would very very much like for it to remain at Easter but not at the expense of loosing the support of some very key individuals who put a lot of time and effort into making the event such a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Giles. For us longer distance travellers the Friday to prepare and Monday to recover are also very important. Do we really need the special tests in Bude and Penzance? Accomodation is not a problem if you use the Penzance Tourist office. Stuart Harrold

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Keith Sanders - much as I prefer the event to be at Easter the potential loss of key individuals is in my opinion more important. Although I have marshalled on the Lands End in the past if I'm honest I don't want to volunteer to join the organising team at this time so therefore I feel that waters down any argument I might have for keeping it as it is. As Andrew says the Lands End will never be just another trial and I believe it would survive a date change intact, as it would also survive without the support of Bude or Penzance if it remained at Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Jonathan Laver.The REAL problem with moving the Lands End is what would we all do at Easter ?  If one`s not competing your are marshalling and if neither you must have retired from the event and be spectating. I am sure that one day the general road traffic will become a problem for the event which does fall upon a national holiday.Easter is becoming more popular as a long weekend break, than before. For now why cowtow . Tradition by definition is a constant. As I said to people who compain that they can`t find me (for what ever reason) "be assured I shall be at "Blue Hills upon Easter Saturday".            ured I shall be at Blue Hills this Easter Saurday".                           

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in the belief that the MCC had trouble getting sufficient marshalls for their trials as it was. Surely by moving the event away from the Easter weekend, that relentless task is going to be made even harder, especially for the Friday night.

    Would be marshalls that live a fair distance away from the South West may not be able to take time off work inorder to marshall on the trial.

    Dare I be controversial and ask whether if the date has to be changed away from Easter, and thus break away from tradition, would it be the time to abolish the 'night run' at the same time? I know that it is suppose to be a 'classic reliability trial', but do we now not see most of the cars breaking and retiring on the hills or near them, and thus the 'reliability' part of the adventure is not quite as relevant as it was when the event started. This may also take away some of the danger from tired poeple driving on the public roads great distances, and mean that they was not the necessity of the extra 'recovery' day on the Monday.

    Dunca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Duncan says that moving away from Easter will make it difficult to get marshals for the event, yet curiously 9 out of 10 people asked, said sorry, I'm going on holiday at Easter.   Getting to the southwest on a non holiday weekend?  Funny how they manage it for the Exeter in the bad weather of January?    Time to get rid if the night run?   Now that would change the nature of the event. RA Macdermid wrote an excelent article on this topic in a 1938 issue of "The Light Car" any yet it is still with us.   But lets not digress in this topic.   If you want to ban night rus, start a new discussion.Stuart says that having Good Friday off work is important for car preparation.   If this is so, how does he manage for the other two trials?What shall we do at Easter if we are not trialling?   Put the car back together for the Exe Valley Trial which will fall after Easter, or get the car ready for the Edinburgh as you have no Good Friday before that event."Move the Lands End from Easter, never - It will ruin the character of the event""Move the Edinburgh from Whitsun, never - It will ruin the character of the event"Move the Exeter from Boxing Night, never - It will ruin the character of the event" Hmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I totally agree with all comments made by Giles.Could somebody enlighten us as to what the organisational difficulties are? Lack of observers, accommodation, too much traffic, etc?                I, personally, would like to see the event stay at Easter,  as the dates can change from being in mid -March, and hence a "Winter " trial, to late April and a (wet) Spring trial. I take it that the LE would be on a "fixed" weekend every year a la Edinburgh and Exeter, or would it be, say a week before Easter, and hence stay "floating".I been sitting in front of this computer trying to work out some good solid reasons to keep the event over the Easter weekend and the only comment I can come up with is:-MCC LAND'S END TRIAL + EASTER = SOMETHING SPECIAL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just had a look at the MCC site, and I note that under "other events" the 2001 Land's End trial is to be run on March 30/31. Easter is not until Friday 13 April - Unlucky for some, or a lot of us?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out the MCC site, "other events", 2001 Land's End trial now April 13/14th. Now do I enter a trial starting on Friday 13th?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Lands End trial is the Easter event and should not be changed.I am in total agreement with Giles regarding the current "special tests" that, although they are enjoyable, my reason for doing the Lands End is to climb challenging historic hills in an event which is still an adventure, travelling through the most beautiful countryside in these islands, ( OK so I'm a trifle biased ! ). If the removal of the sponsorship provided by the councils is being considered as a reason to change, then let us loose the sponsorship and carry the cost in the entry fee if we need. I remind you all of the days of the "clubman" competeing in his car in MANY forms of Motorsport, ie Trials, Autotests, Sprints & AutocrossThose days disappeared with the advent of "sponsorship". Just about the only form of motorsport that has NOT sucumbed to sponsorship is Classic Trials, please let's not loose it now.The other area to consider is would we get sufficient marshalls for the hills if they didn't have Good Friday to travel ? 

    ReplyDelete