Tuesday 17 June 2003

Triumph Marlin

I have a very early SWB Marlin Roadster on Triumph Vitesse mechanics, I have had great fun with the car and am loath to part with it, however I would like to try a little trialing just for fun but continue to use it every day as at present. I would prefer to have a reliable car that I would not be scared of breaking and as far as I am concerned I would rather finish last in Class 8 than a non finisher in Class 7. Therefore.... in an ideal world how would you guys suggest I modify the car ( I assume the complete rear end will have to go for starters?), is the front suspension strong enough, is the engine too heavy? , Or perhaps given a blank canvas what would make the ideal car?. 
 
With Thanks
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Julian -   I hate to pour cold water, but you are embarking on a potentially frustrating project. In the eight years that I have been trialling a (Marina-based) Marlin there have been only two or three Triumph-based cars competing, none for very long, and none very successfully. You could probably compete in MCC Class O with a sumpguard and a few other tweaks, but you would definitely need to go to a Marina rear axle (even for MCC events in Class 7) if you need reliability. I suggest you trawl the Marlin pages of my website at www.wheelspin.org.uk and speak to Steve Holder ('phone number on the website) who has trialled and worked-on a number of Triumph-based specials.   Andrew   PS - PCTs are another matter, of course, but this is a classic trials site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julian,   I agree with Andrew. However I know that Pete Crawford does PCT's in his car (see http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/MLeete/Gas02112.htm and has done Falcon's March hare which like Class 0 is pretty non-damaging.   Michael

    ReplyDelete