Sunday 10 September 2000

Myster Section?

Has any one else seen the picture in this weekend's Daily Telegraph Motoring Section (page 11) under the heading of Mystery Motor?

The picture shows a 1924(?) Morris with modified body work making some good progress up a fairly competitive section.

The text refers to a 'hillclimb', but it looks suspiciously like a Trial section to me.   Especially when you look at the competitors number (270) which is in the sort of area that the MCC's events operate.

The picture is thought to have been taken in the Chilterns, which I understand was prime trialling territory in 1924.

But if it is a trial section, which one?

I have e-mailled the column asking for more information and specifically some sort of access to the original so that it might be displayed here to agitate a number of the old grey cells.

It will appear if I'm successful

4 comments:

  1. Chris,I missed it. Can you scan it and stick it in the photo album?Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I'm a bit dubious of the legality about scanning a photograph from a commercial paper and re-pulishing it on the web, which is why I e-mailed the column for som further information.However, when I next get on my home system I will scan said phograph and sent to you by e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photograph in question is now in the Photo Album under Mystery Motor.HJ from the Telegraph e-mailed me back with where I could could find the photo, so I assume that as permission to post on this site.The known details are that the car is a Morris and the photo was taken in 1924.  The suggested location is the Chilterns.So, is this an early Classic Trial or just a hillclimb?  And if its a CT where is the section?Incidentally, the website (www.mysterymotors.com) contains lots of other photos of mouth watering cars.  I have not yet had the chance to look through any of it, but it looks as if it will repay the time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo looks almost identical to one on page 40 of "the Motor Cycling Club", by Peter Garnier. There is also a photo on page 63, of what I think are the same trees, taken from further up the hill. The hill in question being, Beggars' Roost.I was dubious whether or not to scan the photo and put it in the album, but I've just remembered that a photo I took of Dick Peachey is in the book on page 123, and nobody asked my permission, so I guess we are square now!!

    ReplyDelete