Thursday 28 June 2001

ghts on the "new" Lands End

I was really interested to see the new plans for the Lands End. I am sad to see that "some of the less intresting earlier hills" are to be omitted. personally I like the early hills in the dark. OK, they may not be competitive in an ACTC sense but in my opinion that should not be the idea of the Lands End.
 
The newsletter says that "old favourites" Warleggan and Orange may reappear. I have never seen Orange but the I remember Warleggan as being pretty rough.
 
I do hope the new team will try not to change the character of the Lands End from being a "long distance reliabilirt trial" for both man and machine. there are enough trials with ultra competitive sections and rocks to rip the bottom out of your pride and joy, but there is only one Lands End.
 
Michael Leete
 
PS - One of the joys of the last Exeter for me was more hills in the dark.

2 comments:

  1. The header should be "Thoughts on the new Lands End"   Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember finishing at Newquay in the old days, I even camped there after one event but I'm wiser now. I will be sad to lose Flambards although it is a long way to drive for one hill. The finish in the pub at Penzance was good but I believe that the club are trying to find equally congenial surroundings for the finish in Newquay. I agree that the night hills are an important part of the trial just to get you in the swing of things, however with a field as large as the Lands End night hills can occur at the beginning or the end. Warleggan is a great hill and I'm glad to see it back. I have fond memories of Orange which might have been named after the colour of the ordure tipped down it to make it more interesting. One year it was particularly slippery and malodorous. There was a restart and a number of the tyros failed there and were not best pleased. The words 'paddle, without, up and creek' might be included in the phrase to describe their predicament. The DAF left the restart like leaving the traffic lights in the high street. Oh happy days. Anyhow lets all hope we have a Lands End in 2002 I sure it will be good. Tony  

    ReplyDelete