Monday 1 December 2003

My Allen Trial

It was super to have real trialling conditions agai, making the hills on good form. I thought the start venue was great. Lets hope we didn't disturb the residents of Donton to much! I managed to get of the re-start at Bitton Lane OK which I don't always. And we got up Guys Hill as well. OK we didn't have a restart but we didn't get up last year. The class eights had it tough. We saw a few of them really try. I gave Dudley's effort 11/10!
 
The halfway lunch break came quickly, but then we realised it wasn't halfway, good planning to get it in before the rain!
 
I thought Burledge was great this year. We nearly got up as well but not quite. It could be done though as we saw both Phillip Mitchell and Giles Greenslade go clean. Talking of Giles. He was on tenderhooks all day with his ACTC battle with David Heale
 
It started to rain about now but didn't have any difficulties until Birch Hill. It was a long way to get to this hill but I think its really worth it. The clay pit was really on form, we gave it everything but came to a stop sweating and exhausted at about the four.
 
We enjoyed John Walker in the dark. I thought it was smoother and Mike thought it was rougher.
 
We signed off at about 5.15 and headed for home stratight away. The M4 was as horrendous as ever and I didn't arrive home until gone 9.30 pm.
 
A good day. (I wonder if Giles won?). How was your Allen Trial?
 
Michael
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Allen Provisional Results Paul Bartleman 1st Overall, clean  31.6.secs. Michael Collins Class 1, 2 points. Jeremy Flan Class 2 , 1 point. David Heale Class 3, 2 points. Giles Greenslade Class 4, 3 points. Mike Wordsworth Class 5 , 6 points. Terry Ball Class 6, 19 points. Roger Bricknell Class 7, clean 35.4 seconds.   Congratulations to Paul & Emma, I will post the full results later, We hope you all had a good day. Cheers   Pete    

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen results attached,    cheers   Pete  

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael, we had a very enjoyable day. My adventure started at Traverse with the coil lead poping off 1foot past the end board ! You were right about Burledge I did remember it when I saw it again ! well done Giles for getting out of the top. Nanny Hurns was difficult for me just trying to make the tight corner even with Simon's advice to let the left front tyre down we managed a 3.   Birch hill was interesting even at the start watching everyone scrabbling up to the start line with road tyre pressure. After marker number 4 it looked to me like a wall of solid clay and I am still amazed at all who managed the end boards(very well done).   I must say that I tried a new type of tyre during the day as some noticed, it is a Colway van tread 175 x 14  which is 8 ply, it seemed very good for the rocky sections but absolutly useless on the deep mud due to it's rigidity, maybee someone else has thoughts on this but I am going to transfer them to the front and find something better for the Exeter.   Overall a very good day apart from the long drive home on the M4.   Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris and I enjoyed the Allen as usual in my Troll, not a bad day as we managed 8th in class. The weather was certainly better than expected and the new start seemed to work well. We were a bit too wet to stay on at the finish. Having a quick look at the results it seems that later numbers were better on the day. Guys Hill was so slippery, we trickled off the restart but only an inch or two, congratulations to those who did get away. At Burledge we bottomed out on the sumpguard as usual but did get off the restart and managed a 2. Lower Uplands had the usual difficult restart, we thought we had the the right position but did not move an inch! We rompped through the mud and clay of Birch Hill where there were a number of friends from Ross M.C. marshalling. Good fun in the Troll where power is a definite advantage, but does that clay take some getting off the car when you wash it down. So well done Pete and Carley, its nice to trial on old roads and the road book was excellent. Stuart Harrold

    ReplyDelete