Saturday 7 April 2001

Triple

Just got my copy of Triple which I immediately sat down and read from cover to cover as usual.

It was confirmed that Steve Harris is giving up the editor’s chair for "personal reasons". What a wonderful phrase. It's as informative as people that resign jobs "to pursue other interests"

I have a love hate relationship with both "Triple" and "Re-Start". I love reading them but always feel a bit controlled on an "auntie knows best" basis where either the editor or the establishment is controlling the information flow.

I have had my biggest problem with Re-Start in the days when Anne was in the editor’s chair. There was a lot of debate about the roughness of sections. I wrote a letter and Anne published an extract, which portrayed the complete opposite view I was trying to make, but endorsed her own opinion! I never really forgave her for that! In fairness to Re-Start's current editor I don't believe Pat would do that as she is very correct in everything she does and expects others to be as well. I have had a few e-mails when she has felt I was stepping out of line on my Web activities!

Steve Harris and I had a rather formal relationship when he used some stuff in Triple from my Web Site without asking or acknowledging where it came from. I thought this was most impolite and said so and he never used my stuff again! The whole thing was even more complicated as someone else wrote the piece, he had written it for the supplement I do for the Falcon magazine and I hadn't asked if I could publish it on the web myself! A mistake I haven't repeated and the author must have forgiven me as he still helps me out from time to time!

I also had problems in the past with the SODC magazine.

There is a bit of controversy over a letter Ian Blackburn wrote in an earlier Triple which upset a few members. Consequently, there is an apology in the latest Triple and a statement that "On reflection........... should not have been published".

That brings me back to paragraph 3. I believe (and will write to Triple to say so) that a member should be able to write a letter with the expectation that it is published. The fact that the club and/or it's members may or not agree or may be upset is irrelevant. It's the individuals opinion and he or she must stand the consequences if others don't like it. As much as I love my Triple I am over 21 and I don't want a sanitised "everything is rosy we all love each other " version. Or is all this perhaps part of the MCC charm? It probably is!

Michael

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Michael - Fair comment, but ..... the writer should be prepared to be sued for libel. That's what would happen if a defamatory letter was published in a national newspaper and there's no reason why Triple should be any different. And, let's face it, none of us have any idea of how bottomless our fellow member's pockets might be if they went to court! Unlikely, of course, but unlikelier things have happened.   Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,   I agree. My view is that we should be allowed to say or write what we want and stand by the consequences. Provided we are of sound mind  the MCC or any othe club should be prepared to publish our letter. Triple makes it clear the views are those of the writers not the clubs.   I believe in transparancy not censorship and I don't believe "big brother" should control what we read. This comment is not aimed specifically at the MCC, it starts with the Government.   That's what I like about the Internet - "they" don't yet control it   Of course if you do libel someone you must be prepared to stand the consequences.   Michael      

    ReplyDelete
  3. Members of the MCC may rest assured – Triple is alive and well and will continue to go on as advertised. If and when members of the club feel its time is up, they will have plenty of opportunity to make their wishes clear before its demise is a fait accompli, in favour of a monthly newsletter and annual yearbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats super Celia - Was a bit worried reading the monthly newsletter! If you read through my post in this thread going 2001 you can see I was not a fan in the past! However, I am today and like a lot of others I am sure I would miss it dropping through the letterbox. I do get my ACTC Re-Start electronically (and the one the other week was really good) but somehow Triple for me has to be delivered by the Postman. - Michael

    ReplyDelete