Sunday 14 November 2004

ebay scam

I don't know if anyone else has experience of this, but if you are selling on ebay be careful.
I advertised some alloy wheels and was surprised and delighted to get a winning bid of £256. It was from a character called James Bishop. He suggested that he would like to pay me by a 'client' of his giving me a bankers draft for £2500. When it had cleared my bank I would send him the wheels and the excess money. Suspecting that something was not quite right with this I emailed him to say I wouldn't accept this means of payment. There followed a series of bizare emails from him including an offer of a further £50 for my trouble in processing this payment. I continued to decline this suggestion. I then noticed that he was no longer registered with ebay and therefore terminated the sale. I emailed him with this news. Despite this I had an email from a transport company in Brussels requesting my address for collection of the wheels. Then a Northern Rock bankers draft for £2500 arrived. Even to my eyes this was a poor forgery, this was confirmed when I took it to Northern Rock. They seem to be aware of a number of such forgeries with the same signatures and serial number. That evening my phone rang and who should it be but James Bishop. The cheek of the man. What can happen is that the bank will accept the draft and credit your account straight away. It may take several weeks before they inform you it's forged and that you have lost your money.
So if you sell anything on ebay only accept payment for the exact amount.
 
Tony  

No comments:

Post a Comment