Friday 5 November 2004

Tarka trial

Did the Tarka last Sunday - another "first" for me although not in class I hasten to add!  I thought it was a good trial and couldn't understand the low number of entries.  It was very well organised and the route marking was so good that the route card was almost unnecessary.  The organisers did a great job, are obviously sensitive to the low numbers and keen to get feedback to improve things next year.  I have since spoken to various people and it is clear that some stayed away to get a break after three consecutive weeks.  Others thought that it has a reputation of being a bit "tame" - I don't think that the entrants last week would go with that.
 
My only criticism would be that four special tests was a bit excessive and it seems that others said the same - something that the organisers had clearly taken on board by the end of the day.
 
Hopefully it will be better attended next year.

3 comments:

  1. it was my first time on this event as well. i have to say that i didnt enjoy it at all, from the first hill, which was impossible for sidecars, the special tests more reminiscent of autotests, to hills such as spittle which were taped and coned in such a way as to fail the whole entry!!! i shall be voting with my feet next year. what a contrast with the exmoor which is run by the same club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first year I have not particiapted on the Tarka, for no other reason than not having a car ready. I have to say though, that I would agree with Pete, in that it is an enjoyable event and well run. It hasnt always been the most challenging trial, but has always been fun. They have also toughened it up recently with some very good sections. I know Steve Knight has always tried to be slightly different with the way its run, and the four speed tests are typically long and sometimes like mini autotests, but that said you dont lose points if you get them wrong and the competitors I have always been near on the event have traditionally enjoyed them. I would encourage anyone who hasn't competed on it before to try it out, the organising team are hugely enthusiastic and there is always a good attendance for the results and awards at the end, which makes a nice change from a lot of todays events where everyone heads off as soon as they have signed off. I know there have been a few errors in results in the past and it isnt to everyones taste, but the hills are typically traditional (although maybe a bit of tape has been overused once or twice), and there is usually something for all classes. Above all the organisers seem to take on board all comments and try to improve the event every year. I'll definitely be back in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen a set of regs my self so the following is only based on hearsay, but it would seen that the organisers were saying that they did not need to provide insurance as competitors everyday insurance would cover them.    I suspect that there were those that did not wish to put this piece of optimism to the test.  

    ReplyDelete