Friday 15 February 2008

Short Restart Boxes

Interesting piece about restarts in the latest NOTW. In particular that you are allowed to "straddle" a short restart box. Mike Hayward and I marshaled Priors Holt 3 on last years Clee. This has short restart boxes and we were specifically told to fail any car that straddled.

Our fellow marshal (who's name escapes me but I know he's a member here) told us that he had marshaled on Felons Oak, which also has a short restart box, and was instructed to fail straddlers.

Personally I am not concerned if straddling is allowed or not. the main thing is that any rule is consistently applied.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Michael that it's good news that Roger has chosen to be precise about "straddling" restart boxes and I hope his wording is eventually incorporated into the MCC SSRs. Personally, I've never understood the logic of NOT allowing straddling on short restart boxes. Unlike Michael, I am concerned that straddling should ever be a reason to fail a competitor. Taken to its logical conclusion a short restart box = a line, and they MUST be "straddled". So I would say that any organiser who seeks to disallow straddling is deliberately trying to deceive the competitor rather than set a fair test.   Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just been reading the latest NOTW. Change of policy last week "following discussions". So now its not allowed to straddle short boxes. Just hope we have a consistent rule.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete