Monday 14 June 2010

Clegg Special Trials car Info ?? Please

Hi there,

In my quest  in  looking for parts to build my sons Lotus mk iv replica.

I have bought a sorry looking barn find (more like barn fell on it) "Clegg special " there is mention of a couple of these car in the 50's at a Cheshire trial.

Can anyone shed any light on the car Reg number MTD 77

Looks like a cross between Dellow on front end Ford 1172cc pop running gear and Austin big 7 rear end with Ruby steering.tube sub frame, alloy body,

Only info I can find is, April 1st 1951 The Bartley Trial winner Cyril Corbishley in his C.C.Special and other award winners A.A.Butler 1172cc Clegg Special and B.F.Clegg 1172cc Clegg Special.

Thanks

Steve

7 comments:

  1. Steve, there is a photo of a Clegg Special driven by Ross Preston in Autosport July 23 1954 p128. at a Lancs & Cheshire autocross meeting but not same reg as yours but that doesn't mean a lot. also Dellow Motors sold a frame to a customer named Clegg in 1954 but that would probably have been a mk2. let me know if you would like a scan of the photo. Dave Haley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,
    Thanks that would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am trying to find more information on the Cyril Corbishley Special (CCS). Cyril is my Grandfather. Any idea's how I can track the car down - and find out what happened to it? I know the registration - its MTU777.Thanks, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things are going fine with the Clegg Special.
    I have now tracked down original registration number details form Lanc county.Thanks to all who have sent me pictures of the car from the 50's this has all helped with getting the number back of the DVLA.
    Engine down now, rods sorted, carbs nearly done.
    Big chassis strip due November and then rebuild it back up. who knows my even do LE in 2012 with it??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,
    Looking for wheels and rear axle E93A type any for sale please.
    17" or 18" for front may try 16" on rear.
    Having chatted to Michael at Edinburgh getting more info on car all the time.
    Chassis is looking more Dellow than ever now.
    Thanks
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers for that and local too !
    Thank you
    Steve

    ReplyDelete