Friday 22 March 2002

CLASSIFICATION

Don't quite understand the motorcycle classification for the Land's End.  If I were to ride my lightweight XT500 Yamaha instead of my class A 650cc TriumphI would be excused all restarts (it weighs about 250lbsand would be in class C), as it is, I have do the two restarts that the even lighter up to 401cc have to do as well. My machine entered, is a class A 400lb twin (dry weight), restarts are for class A and B only. If my twin was foreign I would be in class D and be excused restarts (a BMW twin R80 GS is lighter- I used to have one before I took up long distance trials). It seems we are penalised by having British bikes in the dwindling class A. It is nice to pull off a gold against the club if all goes well, but life is getting more difficult, I did Riverton in the Exmoor on a lightweight BSA B40 in the daylight so will not be looking forward to it on a heavyweight in the dark!   I suppose the answer is class O if I do not want to end up under my machine halfway up a section because I do like riding it and most spectators appreciate the older machinery. Perhaps I am getting too old!

5 comments:

  1. John,   That seems very strange. Are you sure it's not a mistake!   Or is it because the better riders are in your class and the MCC doesn't want to pay up for all the medals!   btw - What sort of condition was Riverton in ? I have only seen it once and I remember it as very rough. It is the section that goes under a bridge followed bty a 90 right isn't it ?   Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a gulley on the right up as far as the 90deg right turn, this meant that motorcycles had to go up on the left close to the hedge. The middle of the track was very slippery with mud as was the first RH bend there was a gulley crossing the track at this point, shortly after the RH turn was a hairpin left ( I think) wich could be a problem. There has been a working party so it will now be an easy climb?- past the half empty glass stage now , things getting a bit hazy.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael

    Riverton was muddy fairly rutted.

    The track used for the Exmoor went under the bridge 90 left 30 yards and 90
    right starting to gather gradient. This Section Begins board was about 5
    yards after this. The start was slippery mud (clay?) surface (it was not
    raining...) and everything I saw got going fairly easily. 35 yards straight
    on there is a 90 left (the site of the yellow/red restart) and after this
    the going was much muddy and fairly big ruts. But the ruts weren't a couple
    of tracks seemed more cut up than that (looked more like moguls from the
    back of the Imp!) This section is about 20 yards and not steep. It ends in
    a 150 left which it were most were having difficulty by the sound of it.
    The bend was less muddy and rutted (more grip on the outside but the imp is
    short!) after that it was a fairly ordinary climb straight to the section
    ends board.

    I hope it helps and memory is not playing tricks on me!

     I see that you are running early not far behind Dad. Could always bend his
    ear about it!

    Good luck on the LE!!

    Mark

    PS Stuart, Giles and Dad all cleared Riverton on the Exmoor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John. There is nothing in the MCC rules to say that you can't enter your Triumph into Class D, or even C! You can change classes up to signing on. That would avoid restarts.   I think that they have put the big trailies (Class C) into the white category with Class D because not many Golds seem to be won in that class.   Just a few thoughts...... Maybe see you in Newquay   Mark Worsfold

    ReplyDelete
  5. In an odd sort of way I am looking forward to the restarts, they may not be too bad, though Hoskin can be bad for the car restarts. It will certainly puzzle the spectators when Mark Seward (recent winner of the Cornish End to End trial ) goes straight through and we have to paddle away after stopping halfway!

    ReplyDelete