Monday 23 September 2002

Exe Valley Trial - 22 September

My wife Trish and I went (in a Vitara JLX thingie) to watch sections at Venny Tedburn - much too easy in the dry so didn't stay there long - then over to Tillerton (via green
lane at Posbury) where things hotted up a bit. I stood by a lady who owned the farm at the top of the hill and she was positively pleased to have the trial going through - unlike her neighbours in the barn on the corner at the top who are trying to stop events apparently - takes all sorts but we do seem to be increasingly on the defensive
these days.
 
The day was soon made for me when a chain-drive Trojan pottered up (and back down after failing on the rock slabs) the hill. So they DO exist - I though they might have been a false memory from watching them on the Lands End trial at Darracott Hill as a scrap of a lad. My other recollection is someone saying they were two strokes - could that be right?

From Tillerton (stayed too long) we went to Sims but only caught the tail enders although they put on a bit of a show - ALU 1 broke a prop shaft and a Fiat Punto (I think) popped a tyre whislt wheel spinning madly for grip. The Trojan failed again but it gave me a good photo opportunity!
 
Well done the Crashbox Club. I have a few photos if anyone is interested - let me know car, make and colour so that I can match them up.
 
We then greenlaned it back home via Barracourt at N Bovey (the one with the nice ford!), Pepperdon (I know its tarmac but Trish loved those hairpins), then along by Lowton (BOATs 41 & 42 - the Bridford Bypass) and down that lovely BOAT 40 to Steps Bridge. At this point Trish said that she hadn't really felt challenged by any of the lanes so I suggested (tongue firmly in cheek) we try Spanish Lake (nr Leigh Cross) and immediately wished I hadn't - remembering the washed out section at the bottom. Nevertheless we did it without any problems at all so well done the Vitara (and Trish for being game).

Still feeling un-challenged Trish then asked "So what is this Dean Steep all about??".  I haven't yet persuaded her to go trialling in a 4 wheeler but perhaps I am getting closer
 
Brian
 
PS Some bad news unfortunately thsi morning from a mate who went to watch at Ideford. This is what he says:
 
I went to watch section 13 of Exe Valley LDT yesterday, section had to be changed because the owner of ***, Hestow Rd, believed to be a Mr ***, had vowed to prevent vehicles passing his property & true to his word had felled a healthy mature hardwood tree across the lane @ approx. 892764 (right fork after the ford after Hamblecombe Lane.) I walked up the lane,, clambered through the branches & there was the clever man & a bunch of kids keeping a lookout - I didn't speak to him, too incensed. Have reported it to DCC Local Services officer this a.m. The Crashbox Club had gone to the trouble of flail mowing the lane so it could accommodate cars & taken the time to speak to him so I hope they will also report the matter.
I might be able to get out on Thurs pm to check whether lane still obstructed, I suppose he might clear it having succeeded in his aim of re-routing the event. Two horse riders who had tried to use the route were returning as I walked up but doubt they will be ****ed off enough to report it. I've been down there a couple of times this yr. but Mr **** allegedly stated to the club official that it hasn't been used by vehicles for a long time.
 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a good event Brian. I would like to have done it in my Beetle but the car never seems ready before the Edinburgh. Also I wonder if the sections aren't a bit dry and rough before the soggy winter rain begins.   I am looking forward to the Edinburgh. I think Derbyshire is a fantastic place to go trialling (with apologies to all you West Countrt triallers).   I agree with you about the Trojans. I have seen them a couple of times. Talk about torque!   Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well .... we competed and it was a wonderful event although rather too dry to be very competitive. Roger Ugalde deserves hearty congratulations for running his second 'new event' in one year!   The sections included the odd one-or-two from the 'old' Exe Valley, rather more from the 'old' Torbay, some MCC sections, and several excellent new finds. It was very dry and rather rough and we lost 6 points on one section where we dropped into a hole and lodged the diff on the grass strip in the middle of the track - something I've never done before in the Marlin. There were, however, plenty of sections to keep everyone on their toes and you'll see a few '6s' among the Yellows and Reds, accompanied by red faces!   The only real let-down, at least for us in Class 7, was Simms which was so dry that we shot off the restart and had to back-off to get over the slab in a cloud of dust. Most agreed that they had never seen it easier and I'd even describe our clean as an anti-climax - just goes to show that the normal conditions in early January (Exeter-time) make a big difference.   The weather was fabulous, the scenery likewise, and it was an excellent day's sport.   Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whats's the top of Simms like Andrew. Some of us have never seen it   Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael (and others) -   Put the 2003 Exe Valley date (when it's published) in your diary and pray for another dry September!   Joking apart, Simms was (at least for Class 7) VERY easy and looked totally different from a typical January. Sitting at the restart, the section looked much shorter than I recall, probably because it also looked wider - a mere handful of spectators dotted up the right-hand side. The climb was over in what seemed like a flash, without even the slightest 'moment' and, having lifted-off to get over the slab, I then had the time to lift-off again to check that there weren't any STOP boards like the MCC use. The fact that I even had time to THINK about Stop Boards says it all!   It just goes to show how conditions can totally change a section and does raise the question of which is 'the-most-difficult-section-in-current-use'. Whilst I agree that 'Simms-on-the-Exeter' is top of most people's list, it does include a restart for Classes 7 and 8. It would be very interesting to allow us (well Class 7 at least!) a straight run at Simms in January one year just to see what happens.   Just to dampen the euphoria, we climbed Simms after failing the restart on Tipley due to a stupid pilot-error. We stopped in totally the wrong place, failed, were told to drop-back and take a run at it, but dropped-back and had a good look, drove onto the spot where we should have stopped, then drove off with a minimum of fuss. But, hey, that's trialling.   Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian,   Re. your offer of photo's - I'd be delighted should you have one of a white 205 featuring a passenger with vivid red hair - Craig and I enjoyed our event very much, relishing the efforts of the Crash Box gang.  It was a day where we needed sunglasses and steering lock: as many have noted, Simms was over in a flash!    Kindly call on 01527 878388 if you can help us - a record of a class win is always welcome!   Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adrian - sorry but no white 205 pics - I enjoyed going back through looking though - a lovely day wasn't it! Brian

    ReplyDelete