Wednesday 8 January 2003

New member requires help and advice with mods to midget 1500

Hello everyone,
 
I have just joaned this group and I could do with some help from some very experienced trials enthusiasts. It all started when Stuart & Keith Roach introduced me to the sport and I had my first ride with Dudley Sterry (frightening but great fun!)
 
I have a 1500 midget that I entered on the Lands End, Testing and Edinburgh '02 but unfortunately it suffered much damage.
I am in the process of modifying the front and rear suspension, and could help with some advice from those that have already overcome the minimal ground clearance of the midget. I have already modified the exhaust to go over the axle and I am fitting the fuel tank in the boot.  I have run a 4.25 diff on the Edinburgh which was ok (ish) but the planet gear cross pin broke or I have a 5.3 (but with a couple of chipped teeth), what ratio's would you recommend? how about a fack diff? (where can I get one / how much?). What tyres and sizes would you recommend?
 
Any help would be appreciated,
 
Edward Patient.

2 comments:

  1. as regards your diff one option open to you is to fit ford internals which is a fairley straight forward operation (involvsa small amount of maching ) but the crunch is you will need a pair of 1/2 shafts  if you take thisoption it is rumourd that a single wheel transit diff (4 planet wheels) can be machined to fit but i havent tried this one yet hope this  helps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed,   My understanding is that it's Ford or Fack with a Midget. The standard thing will break.   According to the actc magazine a Fack costs 짙465 from Julain Fack j.fack@virgin.net   Michael

    ReplyDelete