Sunday 16 January 2000

BRTDA Gold Star Final

I had a super day marshalling on the BRTDA Gold Star Final last Saturday (15 Jan).

The weather was good and we got a constant succession of cars up Hill 9 ,where I was.

On top of that I got an enormous amount of exercise scrambling up and down the hill checking on the progress of the competitiors.

When I first saw the hill, I thought that it would be pretty well impossible for anybody to get up the first stage, never mind the complete hill.  But I was wrong and I guess we must have had about one third of the field clean on the first run.

For the second we had altered the hill drastically, but we still had about 33% clean to the top.

I was very impressed with the amiability and courtesy of  the crews all of whom, without fail, thanked the marshals after the second run.

Certainly no Classic Trial cars would have made it on the hill as laid out but I reckon that a few Class 7 or 8 would have managed the afternoon hill if the kinks had been removed.

As I said, a splendid day out and I shall look forward to volunteering to marshal at other Sporting Trials, so let me know where they are.

Even the burgers were pretty good.  Not something you can say for all event catering outfits.

Chris

1 comment:

  1. Well I was suppose to be passengering for John Fack, but on only our second hill we managed to drive into one of many trees! That was the end of the event as the car was beyond repair, so that was the end of our championship!

    We spent the rest of the day walking round watching everyone get worn out on a very tough event.

    Chris your hill was one of the shortest, and probably easiest on the site!

    I am in belief that Colin Ashdown Pogmore won the Gold Star outright, but do not know any other positions.

    DUnca

    ReplyDelete