Tuesday 8 February 2000

Tyres - in particular 165x15

This will mainly be of interest to Beetle & Buggy owners, and other users of 165x15 tyres. However it probably has longer term implications for many others.

Users of retread/remould 165x15 tyres will no doubt be already aware that they are difficult/impossible to obtain.

I discovered this about 18 months ago, soon after I changed from 'new' to 'remould' tyres (on cost grounds). I started to use Colway CM (tread pattern per Michelin XM). Initially I had no real problem obtaining them through my local tyre depot. However about 18 months ago I ordered a quantity and they didn't arrive. Having chased them many times via my local supplier and subsequently direct with Colway I eventually discovered the problem was lack of 'old core'. Reading between the lines Colway was diverting all the old core they could find to the production of competition tyres for the Historic Rallying crowd (more profitable!).

This sent me searching elsewhere and to start with I had no luck. Desperation was setting in so I opened a direct account through my business (Murray's) with Motorway, and became an official Motorway distibutor and commisioned a substantial quantity to be manufactured. After a couple of months they arrived. The surplus to my personal requirement were soon sold off to other users I knew of at a special preferential 'trialling' price (they of course were also having sourcing problems, so they were very happy). Consequently another batch was ordered - these took even longer to arrive, and when they did were quickly distributed. A third batch was only partially filled as the old core problem arose again.

Now the really bad news: This week I received a letter from Motorway informing they have ceased production of car tyres (but are to continue with commercial) and that production has been transferred to their sister company Colway.

[Reason: I had read in the trade press and heard through the grapevine the all of the retreading companies were coming under severe pricing pressure from cheap imported 'budget' Far Eastern new tyres......

typical retail price branded 165x15 tyre      £45

typical retail price remoulded 165x15 tyre   Â£30

typical retail price budget 165x15 tyre        Â£25

I know what Jo Punter would go for - don't you?]

A range brochure was included with the letter, but it didn't include the 165x15 size. A quick phone call to Colway revealed that this size had been deleted from their range due to non-availabilty of old core.

So thats the end of that! Someone needs to sort through those millions of old tyres in landfill sites - any volunteers?

Murray

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm worrying to see that it's not just 155-12 Imp sized Colways that are in short supply and interesting to see the background to this problem.Out of interest I've just phoned Micheldever Tyres and the only 155-12 they list is a Korean made new tyre at 28.72 so when Colways dry up there won't be much choice. Although there may be lower profile 12s available they're not really an option given that the Imp is already short on ground clearance, and I don't fancy running with 13" wheels in class 7 thankyou! Maybe we should start organising that tyre dump search now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a collection of Michelin MX pattern tyres, that we have used on the beetle in PCT. They are 155x15's, and we have about 10 that we wish to sell.

    They are hardly worn, it is just that we need to have top quality tyres on, and the edges are partly worn. We are open to offers.

    We are going to the Falcon PCT, and could bring them along if anyone wishes to buy them.

    Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is also a great concern to me, a class 8 Troll that uses 165 x 15 rear tyres. I have found the people at Colway very helpfull but have had some tyres on order for 12 months now, looks like I will not be getting them.The sporting trial boys used a Korean 165 x 15 tyre for a couple of seasons but I believe they are no longer obtainable.A mate is trying some Dutch ? Vreedstein? 165 x 15 on his class 8 car and they seem to work quite well at a reasonable cost. Perhaps this is the way we must go?I am badly in need of some new 165 X 15's and welcome any suggestions on what and wher I can get some, I am Hampshire based.I have had no trouble in getting Colway 145 x 15 Michelin pattern remoulds for the front wheels.Stuart Harrold  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuart,

    That is correct with regard to the sporting trial boys. We used to use Hankook 884's, but these are no longer in production and there are none left in the country.

    However, we now have another tyre that we can use. It is a Sava Exact I think it is. Although, our tyre man has just found some Firestone's that are virtually identical to the Hankook's though. All these are 165x15's and the Sava's (subsidary of Goodyear) can be bought for betwen 짙20-25.

    Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am using a Michelin XZX pattern remould, the tyre the sporting trilas boys used to use before they wet over to Hankook. I can still get a supply of these in the 165x15 size. I have some of these in stock, and can offer them at 짙20 +VAT, buyer collects, fitting but not balancing is possibly available for extra beers.
    Please note that tyres are not my business, but knowing the problems of supply, I like to keep a few on hand, and as there is a reasonable supply currently I am happy to be bountiful to my collegues.
    Can me on 01584-881348 working hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just been looking at www.tyres-online.co.uk. and the availability of 15" tyres seems to be very restricted now. Semperit appear to no longer make the M601 Hi Life, a prevoius favourite.I have found that the following are still made, unless you know different.Avon CR22  185Kumho 756 Power Star 165 &185Marshal 772 165 &185Uniroyal Rallye 380 125 &135, 2CV's I assume!! Vredstein Sprint 155  165 &185Unfortuneatly the above site does not give price details, but it does give pictures of the tread patterns.    

    ReplyDelete