Thursday 8 November 2007

Preparing a frogeye sprite.

I'm currently preparing a frogeye sprite and hope to come over from N Ireland to do one of the MCC trials in class 5. The car has been used for Irish retro rallies and sits up a bit. Is it worth finding a van diff or is a Minor one OK. The car runs a fairly torquey 1320cc engine and a Toyota gearbox. Also is the petrol tank too exposed as standard. Any advice either general or specific to a Frogeye would be much appreciated. The only trial I've done in England is the VSCC lakeland a number of years ago.
Thanks

Dermot Johnson

8 comments:

  1. dont think the toyota box would be allowed to stay in class 5 ,but best check with a official before you go any further ,it could re class you in class 7 ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
     
    Should the Toyota gearbox not be suitable then I do
    have a couple of M.G. Midget standard gearboxes available which I'm sure we
    could come to some agreement over in exchange for the Toyota box.
     
    Cheers,
     
    HIFOR2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the offer but fortunatly I've got a couple of BMC gearboxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can give class 0 a try as the car is on an MCC event - Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. im confused i changed the ratios in my class o pug and was told because of this it was no longer eligable for this class and was moved in to class 1 ,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adrian - My understanding is that organisers accept cars into class 0 as a matter of discretion. I feel certain that as a newcomer Dermot's car would be accepted. - Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Class 0 sounds like the way to go. This evening I went up to watch the first special stage of Rally Ireland. There were over 10000 people there but I got chatting to a couple of marshals who turned out to be Mike and Verdun from the Falcon M.C. Having discovered that they did trials I told them about wanting to do an MCC trial and was immediatly asked "are you the chap from Ireland who's preparing a frogeye for trials? Such is the power of Classicalgas. I got lots of tips about preparing the car and it was really nice to meet both of them.
    Such a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Dermot what a coincidence - As he probably told you Verdun has been doing Class 0 for a while. - Michael

    ReplyDelete